Ever see the #amwriting tag on twitter?
Its usually preceded by as much as 140-characters of something trumpeting some accomplishment or some sacrifice. All this effort with no possible hope of success begs a question as to why.
As for why I write?
- Because Steel Panther already has a drummer. For me, this is all that’s left.
- Because I wasn’t actually actually going to walk the dog anyways. Might as well sit down and write.
- Because I saw something on TV once or movie and thought “Meh, I can do that.”
- Because I read something once and thought “I could do that.”
- Because … chicks, money and fame. Soon anyways. DON’T JUDGE ME.
- Because truthfully, you can do this part time. I hate seeing “I have no time to write” complaints. I write all the time. I have kids and jobs and shit. Still get in a few thousand words whenever I feel like it.
- Because mostly I can write when I feel like it. Think of anything else you can do when you feel like it and I promise you, it will be a very short list.
- Because I get a strange sense of satisfaction out of putting words in a certain order.
- I do it because I like it. No one makes me write.
- Writer’s are fun and cool. We always have something to talk about. Surprisingly it’s rarely writing. We talk about our kids and dogs. Just like regular people.
I could go a little longer but you get the point. Don’t bitch about writing. It’s not that hard. I guess I could say “It’s easy to do but hard to be good at” but that platitude applies to everything. No one, me included, cares.
And that’s that.
Have a good one peeps, I’ll be back after I make my self-imposed 2,500 word quo .. nah. Already done. I’m gonna go lift weights.
PS – look at Papa and that cat again. It’s like they’ve been married for a year. Mutual hatred. They despise one another. Look!