I have thought about this quite a bit lately.
- The Number of the Beast
- Wasted Years
- Fear of the Dark
- Two Minutes to Midnight
- Women in Uniform
None of these will surprise any die-hard Maiden fan, except for #5. This was pre-Bruce Dickinson IM – some other f*ckin’ guy was lead vox, and it’s actually a cover of a late 70’s Aussie band named Skyhooks tune of the same name. But the video introduces Eddie, the group’s famous mascot, and it’s actually the first IM song I ever heard. It was enough to get me intrigued.
Iron Maiden is covered extensively by strings/classically trained musicians – which comes as no surprise to me or any serious IM fan. IM’s musicianship was top notch, and owes as much to Paganini as it does any rock n’ roll precursor. When I think of Iron Maiden I think of bassist Steve Harris’s right hand, bringing out those fabulous notes in 8th’s and even 16th’s or whatever.
At any rate, here’s my favorite cover of an IM tune – this of “Fear of the Dark” by the appropriately named Greek brother-sister duo “String Demons”
I’ll be back when someone breaks the Seventh Seal,
Nothing to do with writing, but I found this amusing!
OK Pendejos, apropos of nothing here are ten reasons not to write, in no particular order:
- It doesn’t matter if you write today or not because your stuff is shit.
- Half of all submissions are rejected unread
- Three-quarters of all pieces published are never read.
- There are now 2,000 writers for every one reader. (i.e. Fatal Supply/Demand Error)
- That kind, “personal” rejection letter you got? It’s a form letter. Just a better macro.
- That kind, “personal” rejection letter you got? It’s the editor’s last. They quit right after they sent it. They can’t take it anymore either. “Fuck My Life” they said, then went back to a 2-year college for something in IT.
- Most of the writers you admire and look up to … ain’t getting paid either.
- Seriously, if writing is not the primary source of income in your household you should just quit and get a real job.
- If you have a “real job” you should not write. You should go to the gym because you look like shit from hunching over and staring at that screen for four hours adding/removing commas.
- There is no “conspiracy” dude, your stuff is just not that good.
Read that! Wow! I am am particularly bastardly tonight!
I wonder what raccoon tastes like.
Mind you, I wonder what Panda tastes like. C’mon, I can’t be the only one.
At any rate, read and enjoy, I’ll be back with more of my hero-gets-the-girl/puppy-licks-the-face brand of joy in awhile.
And I have another story link for you.
My short story Gravel Roads and Grace, Too is in the J.J. Outre’ Review Volume 1 Issue 4 Read it Here
Here’s the art that the J.J. Outre’ people have on it – not sure where it came from but I like it.
Read on you readers, you!
And I have a story for you slack-jawed troglodytes to read
My “Flash Fiction” piece The River by the Garden appears in The Molotov Cocktail Volume 6 Issue 10 Read it Here
As an aside, does not the Molotov Cocktail have the BEST covers?